Thai Chicken Coconut Curry Soup
There are lots of ingredients and this soup takes time to prepare. But it's delicious and worth it! The original recipe came from the July 2005 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 inches fresh ginger , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ¾ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves and stems, plus additional ½ cup chopped for garnish
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (4 to 6 ounce) boneless chicken breast , cut into ¼-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno , sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 small tomato , seeded and diced, for garnish
- ½ cup freshly shaved coconut or unsweetened coconut flakes , toasted, for garnish
- In a large heavy-bottom pot over high heat, combine chicken stock, garlic, ginger, curry paste, coriander, cumin, peppercorns and cilantro.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain broth over a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids.
- Return broth to pot; add coconut milk, shallots, mushrooms and chicken.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and jalapeño, if desired; stir until sugar is dissolved, then add mixture to soup.
- Garnish with tomato, coconut shavings and cilantro.
- Serve hot.